Sunday, April 7, 2024

Craig Baynham - HB

When I started this blog last week, I had 47 players (and 2 checklists) from the 1969 set. When I decided to only post those players who we haven't seen on one of my other blogs, that left me with a pool of 13 cards. 
 
I soon realized that isn't enough to sustain a blog, so I went on eBay and bought the cards for 33 of the other 34 players who didn't also have other cards in the 1966 to 1972 sets. (I decided to pass on paying the "Brian Piccolo premium" for his card.)   So now there are 46 cards in the hopper, all pre-listed on my football blog index.
 
Craig Baynham's card arrived yesterday. The other 32 cards are all from one seller, and are on their way.
 
Craig Baynham was the Cowboys’ 9th round pick in 1966. He was a future pick, so finished his college career in 1966. 
 
As a rookie in 1967, he played all 14 games but started none. In 1968 he again played every game, starting 8 games after 1966-67's starting halfback Dan Reeves was lost for the season after 4 games. (Like last week's Pete Banaszak card, a 1968 injury to a teammate is probably the only reason he has a card in this set.) 
 
In 1969, with Reeves was still hampered by off-season surgery and Baynham injured as well, rookie Calvin Hill seized the opportunity, essentially ending Baynham’s Cowboys’ career. 
 
Baynham played 5 games for the Bears in 1970, until he was sidelined with a foot injury. A broken wrist during training camp in 1971 caused him to miss that entire season. 
 
He returned in 1972, this time for the Cardinals, but a shoulder injury limited him to 7 games. He then retired before the 1973 season. 
 
 
Teams: Cowboys (1967-69), Bears (1970), Cardinals (1972)

No comments: